Sinful Book Reviews

I love romance and erotica. I read a good bit of MM romance and BDSM romance and erotica.

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

The 5th Wave - Rick Yancey

The 5th Wave promised to be epic, but fell short for me.

Cassie has seen most of the people in her life die. The Others have taken over Earth and she’s not trusting anyone. Her father’s words keep running through her head, “how do you know who the enemy is?” As far as Cassie is concerned, everyone else is the enemy. When she meets Evan, she has to decide whether or not she can learn to trust someone because Evan may be her only hope to find her brother. Yancey started this off pretty well and ended it pretty well, but what happened in between felt like a confusing mess. Nearly half the book is told from Cassie’s point of view as she navigates the overtaken planet. Her back story is pretty well developed. It covers what happened with her father and how she and her brother were separated, while also covering the first four waves of the invasion. The rest of the book is what bothered me. Three new points of view are introduced. I understand the reason they’re introduced, but they throw the novel completely off balance. These characters are underdeveloped, and clearly only tools to tell other parts of the story. I’m fine with shifting points of view, but these feel unstructured. The ending is the only thing that saved this book for me. I hadn’t quite figured out what was going on so I got a nice shock when it was all uncovered. More frequent readers of books with mystery and thriller elements are probably more likely to predict what happens. While the book itself didn’t win me over, the narration was great. They had great voices, which is always my first requirement of a good audiobook. I also really loved the emotion they put into the performance. I never doubted that they were the voices of the characters. I just wish I had liked the story a little better.

The concept is interesting, but that didn’t make up for the faults. I don’t think I’ll be reading anything else in this series.

Disclosure: I received this audiobook from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Source: http://www.owltellyouaboutit.com/posts/the-5th-wave