Sinful Book Reviews

I love romance and erotica. I read a good bit of MM romance and BDSM romance and erotica.

The Mistress by Tiffany Reisz

The Mistress - Tiffany Reisz

I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Warning: This review contains spoilers of previous books in the series.

Anyone who pays attention to my tweets, blog, and fangirl gushing knows that I love Tiffany Reisz’s books SO MUCH. My anticipation for The Mistress, like her many other devoted fans, was almost at bursting point by the time the DRC was available on NetGalley. I’m pretty sure I did a dance or something. I definitely put aside every other important thing I had to do just to spend hours reading this book from beginning to end. I’d like to say I read it straight through, but I’m not the type that can stay up all night. I just… can’t. Did I hype myself up like crazy over this book? You bet. Did Reisz deliver? YES!

Norah wakes up in a room she vaguely recognizes, staring at a ghost. She’s been kidnapped. Søren’s wife isn’t dead, and she’s ready for revenge. Meanwhile, all the men in Norah’s life are scrambling to find a way to get her back.

There’s just SO MUCH going on in this book, in this whole series. The best part? Reisz crafts it all so well. Most of the time, I can be a bit critical when reading. I literally can’t find anything to criticize in Reisz’s books. I can tick off all the things I look for in a book, and it’s all there on the page. So, that’s exactly what I’m going to do with this review. I’m going to name off the elements that I think make a great book and tell you how Reisz manages to put it all on the page. This might get slightly long-winded. I apologize in advance.

Thoughtful – I love books that really make me think. The Original Sinners series is what I like to think of as “smart erotica.” A lot of the things the characters are dealing with are very realistic and Reisz puts them on the page in such a raw, unapologetic way. She just puts it out there and says, “This is how life is.” It’s so true. For those of us who read a lot of romance and erotica, it’s a different way of doing things. We’re used to perfectly wrapped up endings and unrealistic ideas of what love is like. Reisz gives us the brutal truth of love and makes us really think about it. A really great book is one that stays on my mind for days, weeks, or even months after I’ve read it. This entire series does that.

Complex Characters – If there’s one element of a book that can win me over faster than any other, it’s great characters. Reisz’s are almost like real people to me. If they don’t exist, they should. They’re complex enough to be real. No one is a stereotype of anything. No one is introduced just to move the story along. They each have their purpose and their story and Reisz does a great job of developing every one of them. I always finish her books wanting more of them.

Satisfying Ending – I’m not the type that always wants a happy ending. I want the right ending for whatever I’m reading. I don’t want it all tied up in neat little bows. I want it to be real. That’s what makes a good ending. It’s really hard to pull off a satisfying ending, especially since, inevitably, there’s someone who won’t like it. I think anyone who’s read this series and loves it, and who doesn’t like this ending, is crazy. It’s everything I ever wanted. Things don’t end the way I thought they would, they end better.

Appropriate Writing Style – So often, I’m thrown off by writing styles that never seem to fit the book I’m reading. It can be frustrating. Reisz has the weird way of being both poetic and straight-forward at the same time. Her writing is both beautiful and raw, and I think that’s so hard to accomplish. I think she pulls it off with her characters. There’s such a variety of personalities and the story is really told through them, so she uses them to her advantage. She can pull off profound statements through Søren. She can pull off blunt humor through Norah. I think that’s the mark of a good writer.

Unpredictability – One of the best elements of a great book is surprise. It doesn’t have to be a huge revelation. It can be small twists that you never saw coming. It keeps book interesting. It’s what keeps me up reading as long as I can keep my eyes open. It’s also real. People and events surprise us every day. Why shouldn’t they surprise us in books too?

I’m really not sure what else I could write to convince you that this series is as amazing as I’m always saying. I just want to say thank you to Tiffany Reisz. You’ve written books I cherish, full of unforgettable characters who will always adore. I can’t wait to read your next book. In the meantime, I’ll just reread this series.

Source: http://www.owltellyouaboutit.com/posts/the-mistress