Sinful Book Reviews

I love romance and erotica. I read a good bit of MM romance and BDSM romance and erotica.

Mr. Flux by Kyo Maclear

Mr. Flux - Kyo Maclear, Matte Stephens

I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I chose to request Mr. Flux because I liked the cover and I thought it looked like a fun book. I often choose my picture books by the art I see on the cover because the art is a big reason that I like picture books so much in the first place.

Mr. Flux is about a town where everyone is satisfied with the way things are, and feels uncomfortable with trying new things. When Mr. Flux moves into town his neighbors aren’t sure what to make of his wacky ways.

This book was really strange. The message was clear to me, but dealing with change is such an abstract concept. I’m not sure it’s something that can be approached in such a straightforward manner. One of my favorite picture books isLester’s Dreadful Sweaters, which is also partly about dealing with change. It deals with the topic in a subtle way though, and I think that’s why it works so well. InMr. Flux, the characters talk about change itself. Mr. Flux is named for change. It just felt like a message being preached, rather than being subtly taught. Now, everything I’m saying is with the intended audience in mind: children. Children are on such a different level from adults, and explaining something like change can be tricky. I feel it’s better to approach it in a subtle way, rather than state that we’re talking about change directly.

My feelings about this book are kind of mixed. It was entertaining, though very strange. I loved the art and the overall message. I just didn’t think the message was executed in the best way for most children to understand. I’m iffy on whether or not I would recommend it. Maybe try it for yourself?

Source: http://www.owltellyouaboutit.com/posts/mr-flux