Sinful Book Reviews

I love romance and erotica. I read a good bit of MM romance and BDSM romance and erotica.

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Nightshade: Book 1 - Andrea Cremer

I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I enjoyed it and I’m eager for the next one. That being said, it took me a while to get into it. When I started the book, I wasn’t sure I would be able to finish it. I didn’t get truly interested until the eight or ninth disc (of ten). Until then, I was just trying to finish what I started. I’m so glad it got interesting at the end.

I didn’t like Calla at first. There wasn’t anything in particular that bothered me, she just wasn’t anything special. At this point in my reading, I need something or someone to grab me. Calla was the typical “girl in paranormal teen fiction” character. Quite frankly, I’m sick of the pattern. I just don’t like reading about the same girl in every book. What fun is that? And let’s face it, they’re all pretty similar. Thank God for Shay and Ren. I wouldn’t have made it through this book without them. Shay was the first to grab my attention with his fascination with Hobbes and “The War of All Against All.” That was the first thing to grab my attention. I really love when authors refer to previous philosophical texts in their books. This is the first time I’ve come across Thomas Hobbes in this way, and I have to confess I haven’t read any Hobbes. Still, it makes a book a little more engaging when there’s something deeper to it. Ren didn’t gain my favor until the end of the book. We learn about Ren slowly. It takes a while before we get below the surface and see something real in him. I would love to learn a little more about him in the next book.

The plot was a little predictable. I guessed a few things before they happened. I like being surprised so that’s not really a good thing. I did get interested in what’s going on with Keepers and the Searchers. I’ll definitely read the next one because I find that part of the story fascinating. I enjoyed the book, but I’m hoping I’ll like the series a little better  when I begin to get more invested in it. I’ll try not to be so hard on Calla next time. I thought Rebecca Lowman did a terrific job with the narration. If you like audiobooks, this is a good one.

Source: http://www.owltellyouaboutit.com/posts/nightshade