Sinful Book Reviews

I love romance and erotica. I read a good bit of MM romance and BDSM romance and erotica.

If I Were You by Lisa Renee Jones

If I Were You - Lisa Renee Jones

I know I’m in the minority with this opinion, but this book was just okay for me. After all the rave reviews I read, I was expecting something dark and suspenseful, but also sexy. I ended up being kind of disappointed. There wasn’t even any good kink when the synopsis pretty much promises that. I’ll try to point out some good things along the way, but I fear most of this review will be complaints.

First, there’s Sara. She starts off as a pretty good character, aside from her woes as a poor person. Welcome to the life that most people lead, Sara. I don’t feel sorry for you. I like that she puts her foot down on certain things. She gets a little swoony with Chris, which was annoying because she seemed so strong-willed before he came into the pictured. Ladies, we are not at the mercy of our vagina's  Hold your ground and don’t let the hot man manipulate you. I liked Chris, for the most part. He’s not perfect, by any means, but he is gorgeous and rich. That’s all it takes to be a hero in erotic romance, these days. In all seriousness, he seems like a genuine guy. He’s a little moody and he’s a little broken, but those make the best heroes. Mark, on the other hand, is a bastard. I think. He acts like a bastard most of the time, but it’s hard to say for sure because there are so many questions that still need answers!

I think the thing that made me feel so apathetic about this book is that I was bored most of the time. It begins on a strong note. Sara finds these journals and goes looking for answers about the girl who wrote them. It had direction and purpose. Then, she gets involved with Chris, and what felt like the major plot line is suddenly forgotten. Rebecca becomes an afterthought. Then it’s just every detail of what Sara does at the art gallery and the coffee shop and lunch. It was just boring. The only parts that weren’t boring were when she was reading Rebecca’s journals and when she and Chris were having sex. That’s just not a good thing. While I do enjoy great sex scenes in my romance, I also want to feel something for the characters. Right now, Chris is the only one I’m even remotely interested in.

If there’s something Jones did well, it was ending on such an excruciating cliff hanger. Now, I either have to read spoilers or read the next book. I’m kind of leaning toward reading the next book since I did like Chris and I’d love to learn more about him. Maybe the next book will give me answers!

Source: http://www.readingbetweenthewinesbookclub.com/2013/06/guest-review-if-i-were-you-by-lisa.html